Congratulations on your new boots! The handcrafted boots we sell at Space Cowboy are of the highest quality and are built to last for many years with only a little care. That being said, here are a few tips we recommend taking in order to ensure that you and your boots stay happy.
- Get a pair of shoe shapers. We recommend retaining the boots' shape by putting in the shapers as soon as you take them off. They will preserve the original shape and prevent the boot from potential sagging. Shoe Shapers by Planet Cowboy will soon be available to purchase online at our shop.
- Preserve the leather sole with mink oil. Mink oil is a must if you want to preserve the original leather sole, and especially if you live in inclement weather. We suggest applying the oil on the sole, sides of the sole, and heel of the boot at least once a month or as much as needed. Doing so will prevent the soles and heels from drying out and splitting. Mink oil is also a great waterproofer (not that you should go trekking through rivers or ponds).
- Condition the leather. At Space Cowboy we highly recommend Blackrock Leather n' Rich which you can find here. Use the Blackrock monthly or as needed to condition and moisturize the leather. Be thorough and neat when conditioning. For an aged look, conditioning is not needed as often.
- Keep the welt stitch clean. You should brush the welt stitching with a soft bristle toothbrush or any small brush every month or so.
- Get Vibram rubber on bottom sole. If you walk around on pavement a lot, soon enough you're going to put a hole in the original leather. Re-lasting a boot is expensive, so rubber is the way to go. You'll want to add rubber after the boot is completely broken in, which should take around one week depending on how often you're sporting your new kicks.
- Dry boots at room temperature, not with heat or a blow dryer! If the boots do get very wet, just set them down in a room temperature area. When your boots are dry, condition them using the Blackrock Leather n' Rich to retain the leather's natural moisture. Any applied heat will dry out the leather and cause it to crack, so please avoid!
Note on Exotic Boots:
Shoe shapers are a must for lizard, snake, crocodile, alligator, ostrich and any other exotic leather. Keep these skins out of direct sunlight unless you’re strolling around the desert herding buffalo. Keep them in the original box or shoe bags. You do not want a pair of alligator boots wrinkled up. There is a fine membrane between the scales and dust can accumulate in the dimples of the skin. It is important to pass a cloth over the skin to prevent any dust accumulation, which can shorten the lifespan of the leather. There are several good reptile cleaners on the market and they’re also readily available at any shoe repair store. We also have a reptile cleaner that you can order here.